What Is hCG?
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the embryo soon after conception and later by the placenta. Like other gonadotropins, hCG can be extracted from urine or by genetic modification. Pregnyl, Follutein, Profasi, and Novarel use the former method, derived from the urine of pregnant women. Ovidrel, on the other hand, is a product of recombinant DNA.
HCG is never found in the human body except during pregnancy and in those rare cases in which a residue of placental tissue continues to grow in the womb in what is known as a chorionic epithelioma. It is never found in the male. The human type of chorionic gonadotrophin is found only during the pregnancy of women and the great apes. It is produced in enormous quantities, so that during certain phases of her pregnancy a woman may excrete as much as one million International Units per day in her urine – enough to render a million infantile rats precociously mature. Other mammals make use of a different hormone, which can be extracted from their blood serum but not from their urine. Their placenta differs in this and other respects from that of man and the great apes. This animal chorionic gonadotrophin is much less rapidly broken down in the human body than HCG, and it is also less suitable for the treatment of obesity.
As often happens in medicine, much confusion has been caused by giving HCG its name before its true mode of action was understood. It has been explained that gonadotrophin literally means a sex-gland directed substance or hormone, and this is quite misleading. It dates from the early days when it was first found that HCG is able to render infantile sex glands mature, whereby it was entirely overlooked that it has no stimulating effect whatsoever on normally developed and normally functioning sex-glands. No amount of HCG is ever able to increase a normal sex function; it can only improve an abnormal one and in the young hasten the onset of puberty. However, this is no direct effect. HCG acts exclusively at a diencephalic level and there brings about a considerable increase in the functional capacity of all those centers which are working at maximum capacity.
Does the hCG Protocol Really Work?
Yes, it does. Dr. Simeons treated thousands of people with his protocol, and they all lost weight. All of them. And 60-70% of them *kept* it off! Since then, tens of thousands more have reached their healthy weight and maintained there. If properly followed, you can lose between 20 and 40 pounds in a 40-day cycle using this process. Whether you keep it off or not depends on whether you go back to scarfing Wendys’ burgers when you’re done. This process, and its success, is based on following the protocol *exactly* as it was designed, and after it is finished, returning to a *sensible* way of eating that doesn’t include all processed and fast foods. It also includes treating this as a course of treatment, using food as medicine, rather than thinking of this being a diet.
Should I do Injections or Sublingual?
While the Simeons protocol says to use injections, sublingual HCG, also known as HCG drops, didn’t exist when he did his studies, so we don’t know what he would think of it. It has been shown in hundreds (if not thousands) of anecdotal studies however, that sublingual is just as effective as injections. The HCG absorbs equally well either way, and if you prefer not to inject, then sublingual might be the way to go for you. Sublingual HCG drops are a cheaper method and they can be stored in a drawer bedside or in a cupboard as appososed to injectable HCG which has to be kept in the fridge.
How do I prepare for the hCG diet?
Preparing for the Diet
- Many people have found that cleanses help prepare the body for what is to come ahead. A Candida cleanse helps with sugar cravings and a colon cleanse can begin the process of clearing out the toxins and prevent constipation during the protocol. These are not necessary, but can be helpful.
- Many people have heard about this protocol from Kevin Trudeau; his book recommends many expensive suggestions during “Phase 1.”
- It will really benefit you to give up Splenda, Aspartame and MSG (in their many forms and hidden names on the label). They all make you more hungry and are fuel addictions, not to mention other terrible effects— see a shocking video here: Excitotixins: The Taste that Kills (MSG is in ALL processed foods). You can also read more research about aspartame on the “where to go now page.”
- Take the time to memorize the protocol. Then, make sure your schedule is ready to take on your new diet (i.e. no vacations planned, etc.). You will have plenty of time to read while you are waiting for the hCG (if ordering from overseas), so take the time and get comfortable with the protocol.
- You can spend time planning your meals, shopping for the protocol, shopping for new clothes (you’ll drop many sizes quickly), and you can even begin growing your own fruits and vegetables. This will ensure “organic” certified produce.
- As spoken in the words of a very wise member of hCG Dieters, “You need to allow yourself time to prepare for this long before you actually start the protocol – this is a protocol of not just food, but mental preparation, the planning of how you are going to handle the day-to-day situations that will derail your resolve and your plans, the roadblocks we come across, how you are going to handle them, the foods you are going to make that you know you can actually eat without wanting to gag as you stuff them down your throat… the questions people are going to ask you, how you are going to plan your meals etc.” –Jen.
What is the hCG Protocol?
The HCG Protocol is based on a study done by Dr. Simeons in 1972. It shows how small amounts of HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) can be administered along with a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) of 500 to cause the body to metabolize and use abnormal fat, and to, through a specific process, reset the hypothalamus so that once the diet is completed, a person can eat normally (within healthy limits) and keep the weight off for life. Read the entire protocol here.
Is the hCG Protocol Dangerous?
No, it is not. Thousands and *thousands* of people have used this process to reach their healthy weight. Along the way they’ve lost their high cholesterol, their need for diabetes or thyroid meds, had the aching in their joints stop, and generally feel and look better than they have in years.
Look at it this way: This hormone is naturally present in all women when they are pregnant. When a woman gets pregnant, she produces hundreds of thousands of times as much hCG in her body thank is taken by people on the protocol. This isn’t a drug, it is a naturally occurring hormone.
The weight loss portion of the protocol, where you take hCG and restrict your food, is only followed for a maximum of 40 days. Many people have survived for weeks on restricted food intake, and since your body is releasing excess fat to ‘feed’ you while on the hCG, you will not be very hungry, and you’ll lose weight. However, it is *very* important to note that extended periods beyond 40 days are *not* a good idea. The body can handle 40 days of restricted eating. It is *not* good to go beyond this
Dr. Simeons treated over 10,000 patients with this method, and was very successful. Dr. Bellucsio in Argentina has treated thousands more, and none of these people have suffered ill effects from doing the protocol.
How do I best maintain my weight loss after hCG?
Post HCG Diet
- You cannot expect the hCG protocol to take off the weight and then allow you to return to bad eating habits. The hCG will remove the weight and give you a second chance, but it is not a free pass for life. You will need to exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet. It’s your responsibility to maintain your new (healthy) weight, and you need to understand that.
- Even after the maintanence phase, you need to watch the scale to remain within the two pounds of the last injection weight. If it changes, DO A STEAK DAY! The steak day is a tool to utilize for the rest of your life, not just for the maintenance phase.
- Steak Day Tips: Go to the butcher. Buy yourself the biggest, fattest, best marbled cut of meat they have to offer (you don’t have to watch the fat now) and if you’re not sure which cut is best, ask the meat guy. Take it home and sauté it in oil, butter, garlic, or whatever other seasoning you want. Relish every bite of the steak until you are full. Follow with an apple. You can substitute a tomato for the apple if you prefer. Some have lost as much as 7 pounds of gained inflammation in just one day using this technique.
- Use the time spent on the hCG as a method to retrain your taste buds. In the maintenance phase learn to appreciate the natural flavors of food and try to refrain from adding artificial ingredients and flavors back into your diet. These artificial ingredients are the most likely the cause of obesity in the first place. The return of these culprits could cause the return of obesity.
- To maintain weight loss you can learn new techniques to overcome emotional eating or eating due to stress. You can try the Callahan technique or EFT (see links page). Remember this is the beginning of the rest of your life. Control the maladies and focus on positive change.
- To reduce cellulite on the new slim you, you can try adding 1 drop of lemon essential oil to one tablespoon of carrier oil such as jojoba oil. Rub the mixture into the affected area, working toward the heart. Repeat daily and drink lots of water to help flush your system. You can also try “Stevia lemonade” and epsom salt baths.